Well, after a long 2 days of travel, I made it. I wasn't sure how it was going to end up when I started out by getting the pat down at MCI. Then I got it again in Zurich. Turns out you shouldn't wear pants that zip off or shirts with lots of metal buttons. But we all made it through and so did all of our luggage.
When we got in to Dar es Salaam, there was a taxi driver with my name on a sign. (I've always wanted to be picked up by one of the people holding signs with people's names on them, and I finally did!) He took us to a hotel for the night. The hotel was quite nice for only being $40 a room. And I had to take a picture of the bathroom (I'll have to put it up later though). The Johnson's would appreciate it ... The bathroom was the shower! with a drain in the floor and an edge at the door to keep the water in. (maybe could have done that with the new bathroom at the farm) The only downfall was the wet toilet seat for the second person.
In the morning, the taxi driver took us to the ferry and showed us where to get tickets (very nice because there are many people selling illigitamate tickets ). We had all grabbed the closest luggage to get on the ferry, so none of the porters could try to carry it for us (for a tip of course). So I didn't carry my big backpack on, but I did have some problems getting off. I have bad balance to begin with and even worse with a pack on my back (ask anyone I've ever hiked with), but put me on a swaying boat with 2 other bags and I can't stand up at all. So Travis and Sarita (my travel buddies) had to help stabilize me.
No we've gotten into our housing, been to the hospital, walked all over town. And we finally got some Zanzibari food for lunch! I'll have to post again when I can upload pictures, but I hope everyone is doing well back at home.
Woooo!!!! So glad you're there and everything is well and you're safe. YOU'RE IN ZANZIBAR!!! Is that so cool or what?
ReplyDeleteKudos on having a guy holding your name on a sign when you arrived -- I've always wanted to have that happen, too!
Have a great time, and keep us updated!
Yay! Sure am glad that you have this blog to keep us all informed. Sorry that I didn't think about all the zippers setting off the alarms and causing pat downs. Super that you had your name on the sign! Hope that you are now more settled and acclimated.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are there and have all your bags!!! Hope your scales at home were better than mine and you didn't have to pay extra. Don't be spending too much time on any swaying bridges. Pack the heavy stuff in the bottom of your backpack so it is down by your rear instead of up by your head; it will help with your center of gravity! Can't believe you are so far away-sure glad that you have this blog! Love you!
ReplyDeleteGlad you made it there safe Heidi Jo! Can't wait to hear more about your adventure!
ReplyDeleteSo happy you made it safe. Can't wait to see some pictures. Is it appropriate for me to ask you poo questions here? Maybe I"ll email you updates & questions on Alicia.
ReplyDeleteHeidi,
ReplyDeleteThis is Shirley, I'm using Tim's spot. I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and hope this is an amazing experience for you! Don't forget to have just a little fun while you are gone! You are in my prayers.
Love, Shirley
Glad you and your friends arrived safely. It is going to be an interesting experience for you with the different culture and people. Hope you like the food there! LOL! Keep us informed and please know that you and your friends are in my daily prayers.
ReplyDeleteBlessing, Pastor Tim
I'm glad you made it there alright! Long journeys are always better when there's company :) I chatted with Hannah yesterday and it sounds like she might not be in Dj while you're in the continent.. so sad! :( She did ask me to ask you to check your email :)
ReplyDeleteI'm traveling Zanzibar vicariously through you..have a great time and learn as much as you can about anything and everything!!
Love you and miss you!
n
Hey, this day is too much good for me, since this time I am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. Thanks a lot for massive hard work. zanzibar taxi fares
ReplyDeleteI was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Zanzibar taxi
ReplyDelete