We survived another eventful weekend! On Friday night, we stayed in Stonetown for the Sauti za Busara, a huge concert with traditional bands. One lady that sang was somewhere around 100-110yrs old, and still really good. Since that lasted late, we slept in the next morning with plans to go to the beach that afternoon.
So we headed out to find a Dala dala (public transportation) around 10am. Dala Dalas are either a van that gets very crowded or a small semi with a partially open bed with benches around 3 sides that gets even more crowded. On the first ride, I learned really quickly that you should not move over for someone if it's going to put you in the corner. I got stuck in the corner curled up in a ball with my feet partially under Sarita, until she and Travis let me stretch my legs out over theirs. It took us 3 hrs to get to the beach (that's really only 1hr away), and the tide was out. So we rented a Dhow which is a wooden sail boat to take us out the the reef to snorkel for a bit. Well, that took 1.5hrs to get out there, and no one gave us the same answer as to when the last Dala dala went back to town, so we didn't get to stay long. The dala dala back wasn't as bed because I avoided the corner, but it was still quite crowded, and we got really dirty from the dusty roads.
On Sunday, we started out a little earlier and got a closed dala dala. So we thought it would be less crowded, but you can always fit more people in a dala dala. We went out to Jozari National Park to see the red monkeys that are native to Zanzibar. That's where the bicycles came in. Since we didn't have a car there with us, they gave us bikes to ride a couple miles down the road to see the monkeys and the mongrove trees. We could get within about a foot of the monkeys, so we got some really good pictures. (I'll put some up later). Then we walked for about 45min back down the road because we'd seen a sign for a butterfly farm. It was cool, but it was a long hot walk.
Well, that's all for now, the internet cafe is closing, so they're going to kick me out soon. Hope everyone is doing well at home!
What a weekend. I think that beats eating out and Alvin and the Chipmonks! It was good to see mom and dad though and I enjoyed hearing from you kiddo! I'm glad to hear how much fun you are having and look forward to seeing you when you get back!!!
ReplyDeleteSnowed about 1 1/2 inches here this morning, but the temps are between 20 and 35 so not too bad. Over the weekend the morning low was 5 degrees so that meant no one came to UMW on Saturday and very few were at church on Sunday.
ReplyDeleteI just got off the phone with your mom. They got home this evening. I am off to Topeka Legislative Day on Tuesday. Happy Valentine's Day!
Love you,
Vicki
What adventures! Even if they were probably not as pleasant as you might have liked at the time. :) And you got to SAIL!! Cool! I hope you had fun with it!!
ReplyDeletePlease say you're taking lots of photos when you can. I want to see what all this stuff looks like! What was the beach like? Was it sand, or pebbles? And tan sand or another color?
Love the updates; thanks!! Love to you, Heidi!
Everyone at my office agrees that if you don't make is as a doctor, you have a great career as either a comedian or a writer!!! LOL good to have a fallback! All kidding aside lil sis I am excited for you and cannot wait to hear where you will be for your residency! All of your stories are amazing and I get all bubbly when I see that you have a new post! Keep having a blast! Love You!
ReplyDeleteGina