Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Orion's Belt

Still doing great here in Zanzibar.  We went snorkeling yesterday (very cool, but not as cool as diving), and we visited Prison Island (built to be a prison, but then used for quarantining during the plague in France).  Now the island is home of the giant tortoises (over 100, pictures to come) and a tourist resort.  Then today, we tried out the market to try to cook some for ourselves.  Unfortunately the hot plate we finally got from our land lord is in all Chinese, and we haven't been able to figure it out.  Hopefully tomorrow we'll have better luck.

We're also going to go to Machenduche tomorrow to see a cottage hospital.  There are several of these around the island for people who can't get to the main hospital.  Last week, one of the doctors from there visited the peds department at Mnazi Moja (where I work) and invited us to see his hospital.

I am still seeing a lot of interesting cases in the peds cot wards and in the NICU.  (sorry to not give too many details, but I feel that I should follow the same privacy rules as in the US).  Today in morning conference, we were going over the deaths in the last week; there were 10.  The main doctor asked me how many deaths there would be in the US in a week, I told him there might be 1-2, and they would probably be from cancer or trauma.  Here many kids die of sepsis (infection in your blood), dehydration, and pneumonia.  We have all of those problems in the US, and some die for them.  But I think in Zanzibar people wait longer to go the hospital, and there are limited resources at the hospital, there is a higher mortality.

It's nice when I feel like I'm on the other side of the world (which I know I am), I can look up and see Orion.  The easiest constellation for me to find at home is straight up in the sky when we are walking home in the evenings. And then I don't feel so far away. 

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you, Heidi! I can't wait to see pics of the tortoises. And good luck with the hot plate! Maybe you can get that Chinese student you're working with to help you?

    I'm happy that you can see Orion, too! That makes you seem less far away. :) Although exactly two years ago, I wasn't very far from where you are now! That helps a little, too.

    Speaking of seeing cool things in the sky (you know I'm an astronomy nerd), if you're going to be awake at 5:37AM this Sunday, you can see the International Space Station for 5 minutes! I'm going to try to go out and see it on the 14th, because there's an opportunity to see it in the evening instead of pre-dawn. ;) This link will give you other sighting opportunities (hopefully with some in the early evening hours in the coming weeks!): http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=Tanzania&region=None&city=Zanzibar .

    You're making a difference being there. Even if you don't feel like it. Enjoy your time, and keep updating us!

    Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you in Zanzibar today as we walked on the beach. It was between 58 and 65 degrees both yesterday and today when we were on the beach. We decided that you were probably enjoying your beach time more than we were enjoying ours because you have better beach temperatures. (I found a sand dollar!) Thinking of you and the cases you are experiencing as well as the fun. We also watched the moon rise from a lighthouse last night. You can see the moon from Zanzibar can't you? :)

    Hugs and kisses,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jo,

    Wonderful post! It's almost as good as being with you and listening to you talk :) So proud to hear about the things you're learning. I love that your moral compass wrt cases there doesn't change despite you being in a different country- that's commendable. Orion is my favorite constellation because it is so easy to spot! Tonight, I'll look up at it and send a big hug your way. Love you loads!

    n

    ReplyDelete