I am now a PADI certified scuba diver (that means I can scuba anywhere). We finished our last course today. It was amazing to be swimming with the fishes in the Indian Ocean, and we got to see a school of dolphins! It's such a cool sensation to be so far underwater and know you're not going to die. They took us out yesterday from Stonetown (where I'm living) for 2 dives, and then today from Mtembe (about 1hr bus ride). Today was much better with a visibility of about 20meters. And both days we had a delicious lunch on the boat of samosas, other fried food that I'm not sure on the name, chipate (flat bread), and fresh pineapple, mango, and oranges. We did get a little bit fried yesterday even though we put on tons of sunscreen, so we were extra careful today. We'll see how I feel tonight after it has a chance to set in.
Yesterday after we'd been home about 30 min, the power went off (for what we thought was the daily 1hr no power time), but then it was still off this morning. So we had a hot and sticky night! We're hoping it's back on by the time we get home tonight. (you can't really tell about the power when you're out because many businesses have generators.)
Well, now I'm ready to start my second week in the hospital, and working on plans for what I'll do the last 2 weeks I'm here.
Miss you all!
So funny to read about your day in meters and hours as units of distance hah! Were the samosas like the Indian kind and were the chipates like the 'chapatis/naan' that you've had?? So weird how a country far away has similar cuisine to India's!
ReplyDeletePower cuts are so normal even in India.. I bet you're seeing the world from a whole new perspective! I wish I was there with you, but this blog is second best.. :) Miss you too!!!
The samosas were very similar but with slightly different spices. And the chipati was like naan but thinner. It is nice to have some familiar food. I've been eating a lot of samosas and chipate!
DeleteSo cool to read about your underwater adventures. Mom & I will be watching for more.
ReplyDeleteDad
Scuba diving! Cool! I think I might be too chicken.
ReplyDeleteHave fun! Hope you get to use this new skill some more!
YES!! PADI trained!!!!!
ReplyDelete